Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I Drowned A Little


But only a little.

The weather was pretty magical, really. Enormous gobs of sleet falling from the sky and splatting everywhere, melting on contact. Phenomena that exist only in the air, suspended, for a second, are strange. Frozen mayfly missiles!

The sleet broke up everyone's routine. People scurried, hunched over, and I just let it fall on me because, really, I didn't have anywhere particular to go and I was wet already.

I feel like the city I grew up in was much more black and white than Portland. Residential, commercial, and industrial were all very separate. You had to drive to go into downtown, and so there was a divide. We had stinking hot summers and (occasionally, like this year), very, very cold winters. 100+ degree swings. Clear demarcation between the seasons. This feels like some strange kind of suspended existence, unaffected by time.

Anyway, it was a beautiful day. I got some new coffee for myself and another bag to send to my sister, and the scent is wafting up from the bag on the other side of the room. Delicious. If I didn't feel totally wretched and if I wasn't in desperate need of a good night's sleep, I'd make a cup.

1 comment:

  1. gobs is probably the most unappealing word in existence.

    ReplyDelete