Saturday, March 28, 2009

Subterranean Homesick Blues

...

... I don't really want to go back to school.

My flight leaves at 6 am tomorrow. This means we have to leave for the airport at 4:30, which means I would have to get up at about 3:30, which would be 12:30, Oregon time, and which means that I'm not going to bed tonight, because there is actually no point.

I have so much homework to do and so much everything to do and I didn't do any of it and I BLAME KEVIN. All his fault. Boyfriends are (wonderful, but still) timesucks of the third degree. Last night we walked around my neighborhood for an hour at 3 am just talking.

I'm trying to get a job at one of the nicer ice cream places downtown. That sounds like the least ambitious thing ever, but fucking hell, that is ALL I want. I just want a job I don't hate. It doesn't have to pay a lot. I'm worried that they won't hire me because I won't be back in town until early May, but that's still a month before Ohio State students get out, so... I don't know. I'm hopeful. If my only option is what I did last year - being abused by management and the elderly for LESS THAN minimum wage, I'm just... not going to take it.

It's really lovely here. Most people envision the Midwest as full of cornfields, or simply disgusting. Today there is a breeze and it is spring; the flowers are coming out and it's 65 degrees. Why the hell would I ever want to go back to school, to finals and research papers and deadlines that keep getting closer and closer? Six more weeks...

Like Kenna said, I just want to bring my friends here. I miss spending time with my parents. I'm really looking forward to this summer; it looks like I'm going to DC with my dad for a few days, catching a train to Philly, seeing my relatives there, maybe seeing Anna and a few other people I know, then catching a train to NYC to maybe visit a few more friends and spend a week or two with my sister. This sounds like bliss, especially because she actually has air conditioning this year. Plus, it won't be expensive! I'll only have to pay for a one-way flight. Awesome.

You know, I think if I could choose any existing building to live in, I would live in the Smithsonian. That's where some of my fondest childhood memories were born. I was three when my parents took me there for the first time, and they lost me because I was so enthralled by the giant squid, all laid out in a glass case in formaldehyde, that I ran away and found my way back to it. They found me with my nose pressed up against the glass, hypnotized by the dead leviathan.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could say more than this, but really, SICK ASS PICTURE.

    ReplyDelete